Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
After we left our friends at Kentucky Dam Marina we made a long four day run up the Tennessee River against a 2+ mph current to get to Joe Wheeler State Park for the America's Great Loop Cruisers rendezvous.
On Thursday after departing Waverly we anchored in Cochrane Cutoff with a number of other boats. The next morning was foggy an as soon as the fog lifted we all headed to the lock. We arrived at about the same time as 6 other boats and we ended up with 13 boats in the lock. We rafted off so that we could all get into the lock together so there would not be any delays.
Friday, 11/6 we left Cochrane to go to Demopolis, Alabama. Not too long after leaving Cochrane, Darcy received a phone call that her dad had had a heart attack that morning. Not knowing the severity, they contemplated stopping at Demopolis and renting a car to drive to Lousiana. Along the way we passed one of the few notable landmarks of the Tenn-Tom, the White Cliffs of Epes.
Once we settled into the anchorage we took note of the weather and noticed that tropical storm Ida was forming into a hurricane and was projected to come into the gulf and affect the panhandle of Florida. We then made the decision to remain here until we could find out what the storm would do. There was no reason to head south and get into a jam if the storm would indeed make landfall. "I Love Lucy" was already in the anchorage and we changed our anchoring to stern tie to some trees on shore to wait out whatever weather we would receive.
We felt that we had made a good decision when the storm did intensify and we knew that we would be getting wind. Even though we were 200+ miles from the coast, we were to get some decent wind gusts.
The rain started Monday afternoon and the wind picked up quite a bit. During the night we had shifted over to where Just Us was almost touching ground and we feared that with the rising water he would bang into the park bench on shore. On Tuesday morning the worst of the winds and rain came in and we decided to rig additional stern lines and a second anchor directly into the wind to hold us off the shore line a little better. Ken dropped his dinghy and we took our secondary anchor out and dropped it. We did the same for I Love Lucy as he was having the same difficulty we were. By the time we finished we were completely drenched but felt much more secure as the winds tried to push us around.
Posted by Paul & Stacy Brannon at 11/11/2009 02:12:00 PM
Thursday, October 15, 2009
Posted by Paul & Stacy Brannon at 10/15/2009 03:10:00 PM